Sunday, April 15, 2012

Redbuds


{First:  Sheppard Tucker captured the amazing image you see here.  Thank you, sweet Sheppard!!} 


When my heart is almost saturated with February’s cold and damp, I remember, and begin my watch.

Soon they make their springtime entrance, taking my breath away. Scrawny branches, previously brown and bare, show tiny pink-violet buds peeking out into chilly air.  Nearly imperceptible at first, their color becomes a glorious magenta shout reverberating against the piercingly blue late-March sky.  


One glimpse of these blossoms speaks straight to my soul.  They tell of transformation.  Of possibilities.  Of rebirth.  Of breath-stealing splendor springing from what just yesterday looked little more than barren.



Reawakened by this burst of beauty, this blessed reminder, my heart sings their song, rejoicing in the fresh Word that is spring.


Then, almost as quickly as it came, the color is gone. Startling red-purple blossoms turn to quieter green.  Foliage whispers, leaves rustling in the sun-warmed wind.

Spring’s exuberant newness is replaced by summer’s steady stretch.  And I’m tempted to be sad.  To mourn the loss of the blossoms’ beauty.   To wish for the joy-surge flowing so effortlessly from this season of renewal.  

Yet now is when roots can stretch deep, finding needed nourishment in dark soil.  This is when branches can reach high, drawn heavenwards by hour upon hour of shining sun.

Spring must surrender to summer.

And it, too, is a sacred season.
======================================

But blessed are those who trust in the Lord 

and have made the Lord their hope and confidence.


They are like trees planted along a riverbank,
with roots that reach deep into the water.

Such trees are not bothered by the heat 
or worried by long months of drought.

Their leaves stay green,
and they never stop producing fruit.

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your writing, Anne! Your mind and pen so beautifully put words to what I often think and feel but can't seem to express myself...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "summer's steady stretch....." I LOVE that!

    ReplyDelete