The List

If you've read my previous post about deciding to ditch Mama Guilt, you may be wondering how she and I got so close in the first place.

For the longest time, I didn’t even realize this frenemy was part of my thinking.  What I did know was that when I looked at my life, I knew it was (and still is) absolutely full of blessings to savor and celebrate.   To feel sad seemed somewhere between silly and ridiculous.  Yet so often, I just couldn’t shake a sense of low-grade, self-directed frustration. I knew my emotions were often incompatible with my circumstances, but nothing seemed to help:  whether I talked about it, squelched it, prayed about it, tried to push through it, berated myself for it, or worked at cultivating gratitude, the sense of dis-ease lingered on.   My inability to cajole myself out of these feelings only made things worse:  I was even more frustrated, and pretty embarrassed, too.  It seemed best—safest, really—to keep my feelings under wraps and soldier on.

During an especially gray stretch, I finally decided to share all of this with a wise friend—someone I knew wouldn’t make me feel worse about myself, or offer spiritual-sounding and/or simplistic suggestions.  In fact, rather than offering a shiny strategy for ridding myself of the feelings, she encouraged me to pay attention to them, to notice the thoughts I had when I was feeling unhappy with myself.  

Though her advice initially struck me as unusual, maybe even unnecessarily self-interested, I gave it a try.  Whenever I sensed the clouds of melancholy casting their shadows, I tried to find time to record the narrative running in my head by writing down how I was “talking to myself” about the situation.  The results of this exercise were surprising and sobering:  in a matter of weeks, I’d filled the better part of a journal with all kinds of Mama Guilt’s negative commentary--much of it editorializing on my parenting.

Here’s an example:  Let’s say I asked one of my kids to take care of a chore that s/he tends to either forget or complain about doing.  Then let’s say the kid forgets again.  I give a reminder, which, of course, gets a less-than-lukewarm reception.  

Because it’s an ongoing thing, and because (like just about every mom I know), I feel some crazy-intense pressure to make really good parenting choices all the time, I’m faced with a choice:  do I give a consequence, do I offer grace, or do I just move on and overlook it this time?  If I do decide to address the issue, do I focus on the forgetting part, the complaining part, or both?

I know it sounds crazy, but for me, simply making that kind of choice is difficult enough.  And when Mama Guilt weighs in, things get a whole lot worse—especially since most of her commentary stems from her fundamental opinion that I’m simply a bad mom. And she is more than happy to offer an unending list of reasons why:
  • You’re a bad mom because your kid had to be reminded to do this chore.
  • You’re a bad mom because your kid didn’t do this chore cheerfully.
  • You’re a bad mom because your kid had to be told instead of having the initiative to do it without being asked.
  • You’re a bad mom because you didn’t give a consequence when s/he didn’t follow through.
  • You’re a bad mom because you have the impulse to give a consequence—you should be offering grace and unconditional acceptance to your kid at all times instead of being punitive.
  • You’re a bad mom because you don’t know when to extend grace and overlook shortcomings and when to hold your kid accountable for mistakes.
  • You’re a bad mom because you are so concerned with whether or not your kid does chores cheerfully; you shouldn’t place such high expectations on your child.
  • Ignoring that oversight is going to come back and bite you later on.
  • You’re a bad mom because you should be able to figure out how to teach your kid to follow through on a chore while remaining the easy-going, enjoyable, appealing, winsome mom.
  • What kind of mom asks her kid to take out the trash?  You should really be a servant and do it yourself.
  • You’re a bad mom because you are making a mountain out of a molehill.
  • You’re a bad mom because you are ignoring a molehill that’s really a mountain:  Overlooking that character flaw now will drive your kid’s future friends and spouse (God-willing!) crazy. You will then be responsible for how this flaw puts a wedge between your kid and all of his/her loved ones in the years to come. 
  • Since you are a bad mom, this scenario is going to happen again and again, which is going to make you grouchier and grouchier, and eventually say something you’ll regret.
  • The fact that the above process is going to happen is evidence of your inability to manage your emotions; you’re a grown up now—this shouldn’t be a thing for you, and it isn’t for the good moms.
  • The fact that this oversight makes you feel frustrated is evidence of how “small” and ungenerous you are in your bad-mom heart of hearts.   You shouldn’t be so nit-picky or demanding.
  • If you would’ve been more consistent as a mom by holding high standards for your kids, this wouldn’t be happening to you right now.  
  • What kind of mom has a kid that can’t or won’t remember a simple little chore?
  • You must not be very love-able; if you were, your kid would automatically desire to follow up on your requests.  In fact, s/he would even anticipate them before you have to say anything.  In fact, s/he would do the chore and ask if there is anything else you need. Better yet, s/he would be so conscientious and servant-hearted (and loving towards you) that s/he would consistently be finding and doing those things without even being asked.  That’s what the good moms’ kids do.  
  • Basically, and obviously, you are not a good mom.  If you were, I wouldn’t need to be telling you these things.
She could go on (and on . . . and on), but I’m guessing you get the idea.  I certainly do.  

And that zig-zag of a litany is her response to one simple scenario . . . during one small part . . . of one day.   

What’s worse?  I didn’t even realize this stream was spewing in my mind until my friend encouraged me to pay attention.  That decision was a turning point for me.  But noticing Mama Guilt and trying to argue with her are not the same thing.

Needless to say, I had my work cut out for me.  I still do.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

the oops

Anxious Thoughts: A Blessed Redirection

Resolution Fatigue